Rideau Park is a Leader In Me School
"We only get one chance to prepare our students for a future that none of us can possibly predict. What are we going to do with that one chance?" Stephen R. Covey
At Rideau Park School, we are a community of leaders. Through our Leader in Me Program, which utilizes the principles of Stephen Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, our desire is for students to become leaders in their own right while feeling unique, important and worthy. By providing meaningful leadership and citizenship opportunities, we know students will reach their true potential as leaders and fine citizens in our community. Students are taught to think with the end in mind, set goals and be proactive in their learning, while developing strong 21st century literacy and citizenship skills across the curriculum.
The world has entered an era of the most profound change in human history, creating new challenges for today's students. Meeting these challenges will require a different skill set than previous generations. In an effort to provide our students with key skills vital for the 21st century, we teach these habits through the Leader in Me process.
- Habit 1: Be Proactive® - You're in Charge
- Habit 2: Begin With the End in Mind® - Have a Plan
- Habit 3: Put First Things First® - Work First, Then Play
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win® - Everyone Can Win
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood® - Listen Before You Talk
- Habit 6: Synergize® - Together Is Better
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw® - Balance Feels Best
Through this program, we teach a generation of leaders one child at a time.
We encourage and support all students to take on at least one leadership role at our school each year. Each spring we hold a leadership fair, after which students apply from among the following roles:
- Grade 6 Leadership
- Student Council
- Office Helpers
- Technology/Special Events team
- Kindergarten Leaders
- Lunch helpers